Week 2 Reflection

When thinking back on this weeks class and tasks there are a couple of things I think are worth reflecting on. The first thing I want to reflect on was the discussion and resources we were provided with on copyright. Personally, I have always known what copyright is and have been conscious of it but I have never really had specific resources and tools for working around this. For example, something I have always struggled with is finding photos that I can use. I really valued the research we did as a class as well as the plethora of resources we were provided. Some of the resources that stand out to me that I will definitely make use of in the future include Unsplash, Smithsonian Learning Lab, and Pexels. I think after this week I have a better idea of what copyright is, the rules surrounding it, and the different resources that are made available for people.

The second thing I want to reflect on from this week is documentary “Most Likely to Succeed” which was directed by Greg Whiteley. I was actually very moved by this film. The film stirred something inside me that got me thinking for days after I watched it. I noticed myself mentioning it to those around me which is a clear sign of a great learning experience! There were many things that stood out to me in the film but I am going to list a few of the main points that I took away from it:

• I love the idea of an exhibition night. I think an exhibition night would really motivate students. Having to show your work to your parents, peers, and colleagues is a great way to cultivate motivation and pride in your work.
  • I liked the idea that was brought forth about how creating the right environment for students will result in the ability for them to grow and prosper on their own. “It’s like a garden. You don’t paint the petals and attach the leaves to a flower, you create the right environment and conditions for it to grow.”
  • Sometimes letting kids fail will help them learn and grow – making mistakes is not a bad thing!
  • Soft skills! Ex: Teamwork, independence, communication, creativity, planning, leadership, grit/perseverance 

To end this blog entry, I want to leave everyone with some questions that I have been thinking about:

• What kind of jobs do you think this learning is catered to/will create? It doesn’t seem like we currently have any jobs that this learning theory is catered for.
  • Do you guys agree with the statement that “creating something that wasn’t there before” is one of the greatest feelings of satisfaction and that its transformative?
  • How do we learn how to teach like this? These are very elaborate projects that connect so many aspects of learning and cross-curricular competencies.

Photo Credits: First photo from Unsplash, Second photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash